7 ways to kick goals

By Business Chicks | Apr 08, 15 10:28 AM

We’re committed goal setters here at Business Chicks, and have a sense that you just might be too …

Here we outline a foolproof seven-step plan to help you achieve yours faster. Let’s get started.

1. Write your goal down and post it in a spot you will see several times throughout the day. There’s no shame in having it up around your home or office in multiple places so you’ll bring the goal into consciousness. It’s been said that only 2% of people actually, physically write their goals down – you want to be in this 2% of high achievers.

2. Use positive language and be specific. So, if your goal is to travel to New York this year, write, ‘I will travel to New York this year in July’ as opposed to ‘Go to New York.’ Language is powerful and the subtleties will make a world of difference.

3. Break it down. Write down small daily goals that will help you achieve your big goal. Keeping with the New York goal, it could be writing a budget one day, going to the travel agent and getting a brochure the next, following a New York Instagram account … any small steps that will move you closer to believing your goal is within your midst are great.

4. Engage others in your dream. Talk about your goal – don’t keep it to yourself! Ask for the advice of others and ask for their support – if you have people around you keeping you accountable to what you’re trying to achieve, you’ll feel supported and as if anything is possible. NB here though: positive people and positive vibes only please.

5. Keep a daily journal. Each night just write a paragraph or two about your goal. What will it feel like when you’ve achieved it? What have you done today to move you closer to your goal? What’s your next move?

6. Don’t get discouraged. Some goals are massive, like buying your first property, and some are smaller, such as funding a holiday. All good things take time and patience is critical. Throughout the process though, don’t lose heart. Instead of saying ‘This is too hard, I can never do it’, try ‘I’m doing this, I’m taking little steps and I will get there.’

7. Lastly, don’t give up. This could be the most important tip of all. If your goal is still important to you, keep going. It may take you a little longer, but revisit the above strategies and in the words of Winston Churchill, ‘Never ever, ever, ever, ever give up.’

We want to hear your goal. Don’t be shy and share it below. Business Chicks is a safe place and you just never know who might be able to support you to achieve it. Go!

comments

log in to add comments or Join (It's fast!)

Comments (11) | Add a comment

Alana Leung
By Alana Leung NSW | Apr 14, 2015, 12:24 PM

I have made a conscious effort in the past few days to ensure I use positive language and turn any negative thoughts or words around! Thanks for sharing Business Chicks!Reply

Sharon Duncan
By Sharon Duncan VIC | Apr 13, 2015, 03:09 PM

Hi everyone, Im wanting to open up my very own ladies clothing boutique. I have been doing lots of research, asking people questions, getting business advice etc. It definitely is baby steps for me at the moment, as I really want this to work, so Im not rushing into anything.. Failure is not an option for me, just success! Has anyone got any tips or advice they could share with me?Reply

Clare Sanderson
By Clare Sanderson QLD | Apr 10, 2015, 01:52 PM

I'm covering everything but number 5, unfortunately I usually flop into bed after hitting my goals at work, study and in the gym. Cheers to a great year everyone!Reply

• Emma Isaacs
    By Emma Isaacs NSW | Apr 10, 2015, 06:20 PM

Hope you have a great rest of the year too Clare!

Sarah Lenigas
By Sarah Lenigas SA | Apr 09, 2015, 03:05 PM

A useful reminder, thank you! I find number 3 most difficult, so make this a priority in all project I embark on. The little milestones along the way are so important. Reply

Brittany Woodford
By Brittany Woodford NSW | Apr 09, 2015, 11:16 AM

Love this!!! Number 7 is the most important - amazing things can take time. I'm saving for an investment property, and I've learnt that patience and commitment are necessities!! Number 4 too - I also engaged one of our amazing Premium members, Nancy Youssef from Classic Finance who gave me that extra push and has kept me on track! Because of those steps, I'm on track to reach my goal in the next few months!!!Reply

• Emma Isaacs
    By Emma Isaacs NSW | Apr 10, 2015, 06:19 PM

You can do it Britty - if anyone can, it's you! And thanks Nancy for helping her on her way.

PREV 1 2 3 NEXT